To understand concrete polishing you first need to know about the method of polishing. In simple terms, concrete polishing is something similar to wood sanding. In the process of polishing heavy duty machines are using, with diamond impregnated discs, which works like a sand paper when applied on the surface of the concrete. The diamond studded disc, gradually grind down the concrete surface and give you the required smoothness and shining.
Types of concrete polish:
There are 2 types of polish available, the mechanical polish and chemical polish.
Mechanical Polish: Hiperflooring is the alternative name of mechanical polishing. It is using commonly in the internal and external surface of homes and offices, etc. In this type of polishing, concrete floor grinder along with grits of l abrasive metal tools are using, and the floor treated for condensing during the process. In mechanical concrete polishing, you can have cream, salt, pepper, and aggregate polish finishing.
Chemical polish: In chemical polishing, it involves the use of poly aspartic coating for a better-finished look. This shiny finish is a result of acrylic sealers on concrete, washing with a diamond-polishing pad on a propane floor burnisher. It is not a long-standing finish and hence needs to change frequently. Hire the services of concrete polishing contractor.
The processes involved in concrete polishing are as follows:
1. The first step is to identify the hardness of the floor by using MOHS concrete harness tester.
2. The second step is to shut any surface cracks and remove any prevailing polish.
3. The next move will be to densify the floor using a liquid densifier, which will make the concrete sturdy, denser and scratch- proof concrete.
4. After adding the required density to the concrete, the next step involves polishing. Polishing includes the use of a 50-grit diamond resin pad at the beginning. However, different levels of pad like 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, and 3000 grit shall be using as the work progress.
5. In the final stage, the polishing process shall be completing by the use of 800, 1500, and 3000 resin grits, depending upon the sheen required. The result will be a mirror like finish. Concrete polishing pads shall be using in the final stage to give the quintessential finish.
The cost of concrete polishing depends on upon various factors. First, it depends on the grinding levels necessary for a smooth surface. Secondly, if any adornment is applied, it can increase the cost of polishing. These few factors are imperative and to be kept in mind before going for concrete polishing. Concrete polishing is extremely popular in Australia and is becoming a trend in many other countries as well.